Case StudyFOX News (Unofficial App)
The goal of this project was to take an existing website with a vast (and continuously growing) amount of well organized video content and help bring it to the television. FOX News has such a site at http://video.foxnews.com. Before getting into the implementation details lets start off with a video of the end result.
- Identify all the feeds used on the site
- Categorize feeds within Veedios so that they mirror the structure on the existing site
- Set a master feed refresh rate and override specific feeds like "Latest News" to scan more frequently
- As new feed entries arrive they are processed and archived so that we can support searching and browsing by popular tags within the application
- Construct the application UI using our standard UI template and integrate it with the Veedios API using our custom Veedios Python library
- Users now have access to the same content available on the website, but in a manner much better suited for viewing on the television.
- Videos are presented in the original video player and all ads play just as though the user was viewing the content in a standard web browser.
- Potential revenue has been expanded since the content in now available in a new medium. Viewing of video content and thus ads will increase and consumers are likely to watch more content since they can do so from the comfort of their own couch using just a remote control to navigate the vast amount of content available.
- Cost to expand into this new medium was minimal. No new content was required. The existing content was simply repackaged for a better large screen viewing experience.