Case StudyYahoo! YUI Theater
The goal of this project was to take a website with an existing set of valuable video content and help bring it to the television. Ideally the video content should be longer than average online videos such that users would prefer to view them from the comfort of their couch rather than glued to a small computer screen. We selected Yahoo!'s YUI Theater for this project since it contains a wealth of great developer related videos featuring well known industry experts. The videos are typically over 30 minutes in length and some are upwards of 90 minutes. Before getting into the implementation details lets start off with a video of the end result.
- Identify feed used on the site
- Set feed refresh rate
- Process and archive new feed entries as they are added
- Construct the application UI using our standard UI template and integrate it with the Veedios API using our custom Veedios Python library
- Users now have access to the same content available on the website, but in a manner much better suited for viewing on the television.
- Viewing of video content will increase and consumers are likely to watch more content since they can do so from the comfort of their own couch using just a remote control to navigate the vast amount of content available.
- There is no revenue impact to consider for this particular project since Yahoo! provides YUI Theater to the community as a free service.
- Cost to expand into this new medium was minimal. No new content was required. The existing content was simply repackaged for a better large screen viewing experience.
- To see videos of the app running on other platforms checkout our showcase.